gnome-find: older news
June 28th, 2000 - v0.6 released.
This release fixes a handful of bugs, includes a number of
improvements, and now features an interface to the "locate" command.
- Some dialogs did not properly handle the close/delete signal sent
by the window manager, which could lead to a crash.
- Portability fixes (using stpcpy(), GNU regexp, and
- argc was less by one for the -ok action, causing a
- File properties dialog is now contained in a notebook, instead of
a new/separate window for each file.
- File properties dialog now also shows stats on symlinks as well
as the file it points to, if any.
- If printing file details is selected (-wls), they are
printed into a clist with separate columns for each file stat. The
list is sortable by clicking on the column title.
- The error window in the results dialog can be togged to be shown
or hidden, instead of only being shown.
- For the -ok action, use a GNOME dialog to ask
- An interface to the locate command.
If no major problems come up, there's a good chance that the next
release should be the final 1.0 release!
June 19th, 2000 - v0.5 released.
Surprisingly, no bugs were reported since 0.4, so this release
basically includes a number of new features, user interface
improvements, and documentation. A brief summary of additions are:
- Searching for filenames using regular expressions (-regex
- Handles "~" for home directories.
- File archiving commands on search results.
- Support for searching on specific file system types
- Tearoff menus.
- Searching for files containing a specific string of text.
- Manually entering and executing a search command.
- Preference settings for temporary directory and shell.
- Executing a specified shell command on search results.
- HTML documentation, GNOME help, and user manual.
We're getting pretty close to a final 1.0 release, so test out this
June 5th, 2000 - v0.4 released.
This release fixes a minor bug, and adds a number of new features.
- If the advanced search button is selected, but no options actually
are, a segmentation fault resulted.
- Implemented support for the remaining advanced search options
(-mode, -user, -group, -uid,
-gid, -nouser, -nogroup, -size,
-type, -xtype, -empty, -inum, and
- German translation (Kai Lahmann).
- Korean translation (Kang JeongHee).
- New command line options, "--info", to print detailed info about
binary (e.g., compile/link info).
- (Optional) runtime debugging code, valid only if
was specified when running configure.
- Preferences settings for all toolbars (e.g., icons only,
both); saving/restoring window sizes; and file
operation commands to
execute from the results window.
- Implement executing file operation commands from
the results window
(e.g., open, delete, copy, print, execute).
May 22nd, 2000 - v0.3 released.
This release fixes a few bugs, and has some additional advanced search
- Small memory leak if gnome-find.glade is not found in the
current, starting directory.
- The gnome-find.spec[.in] file actually builds the RPM
- If printing file details to a window, the value of the files found
number in the results dialog was always zero.
- Use common routines in code for advanced search options to reduce
- Seg fault if "Clear Search" was done after either of the
or multi-directory dialogs has been created, but not both.
- Set the minimized window icon.
- Spanish translation (Joel Barrios).
- Russion translation (Valek Filippov).
- Implemented searching using boolean tests for atime, ctime, and
mtime (-amin, -atime, -anewer,
-cmin, -ctime, -cnewer, -mmin,
-mtime, and -mnewer options).
May 15th, 2000 - v0.2 released.
This release adds new features and implementation, including:
- Enabling the GNOME progress bar, so that progress indication is
shown to the user while a long-running search is running.
- All of the "Options" and "Actions" for advanced searches.
- Multi-file and multi-directory searching.
May 09th, 2000 - v0.1 released.
Unlike other 0.1 releases, gnome-find actually works, and has a
clear roadmap on what needs to be finished before a final 1.0 release.
See the TODO file in the source distribution on what needs to be done.
This release features "basic" searching and multiple windows. Future
releases will include incremental features for advanced search
options, file operations on files found in the search results, and
Last updated on June 28th, 2000 by
© 2000 Andy Kahn. All rights reserved.